Sunday, July 3, 2011

Travel to Taiwan on July 1, 2011

Seven student teachers from Tallahassee Community College and Flagler College-TCC departed from Jacksonville, Florida on July 1, 2011 to begin the adventure of a lifetime.  The group flew with Dr. O'Kon to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to participate as teachers in the San Sin High School Summer English Program.  The Sister School relationship between TCC and San Sin began in 1993, and it continues to be one of the strongest and most productive relationships among schools internationally. 

      
Kyle Patterson, Dana Terry, David McCulley, Taylor Brown, Bethany Little, Bridget Burke, and Betty Payzant traveled well to Taiwan with no delays or difficulties of any kind.  They were greeted warmly at the airport by their host families on Saturday night.  On Sunday, they attended a lovely 11-course luncheon at the Lees Hotel, and they learned just how lengthy and enjoyable a Taiwanese meal can be!  They then were taken to see San Sin High School for the first time, where they met their teaching assistants and toured the school.  The student teachers worked hard in advance to prepare their teaching curriculum for the four-week program.  They will teach their first English classes tomorrow on July 4th!

TCC group as they prepare for their departure to Kaohsiung, Taiwan in 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Day one- July 4th,
    I started out 20 minuets late to the orientation, holding up everyone. After the orientation, we dispersed to our classrooms with our first class. I had a very challenging time getting started but I worked it out eventually. I could not read the Chinese on the computer in the classroom so I tried to connect my laptop to the projector. My laptop desktop was upside down on the projector... but an assistant came to fix it. I did not have my introduction powerpoint so to adjust, I just showed some of my pictures and spoke out. When I finally started on the lesson, I did not have the Independence Day powerpoint, so I just lectured on this topic. We worked well together and the class was able to make sentences using the vocabulary words. Although they were not perfect, I was able to help them build a correct sentence structure and say aloud to the class their sentence. Class 2, I was more prepared for, it went very smooth and Mr. Fussel helped me to realize that I instructed better on a more personal level. So I did just that. I focused on each student one at a time, while still including the entire class. And this made a great impact on the students I feel. We had a great time and my students were all very pleasant to teach.
    -David McCulley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Dana missed being in this picture, but am so thankful for her great treatment in Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete